Have you ever wondered why your hair gets lighter in the sun, but your skin gets more and more bronzed?
Well, it’s the melanin in your skin that gives it colour and this clever little pigment is also present in our hair cells. As hair is already dead (*shocked emoji face*) the sun bleaches out any remaining melanin, so hair gets lighter while skin gets darker.
In my experience, nothing ruins a gorgeous, glowy tan like dry, frazzled hair… am I right?
Discover my top summer haircare tips…
- It’s a good idea to have your hair cut before you jet off in search of sun, sand and sea. If the males among you don’t heed this advice, it’s highly likely you’ll end up with a weird tan line on your neck too!
- If you really don’t have time for a pre-holiday trim, pop in for a cut and a conditioning treatment as soon as you get home. This will add some much-needed moisture back into your hair and eliminate any dry ends you might have acquired while you were away. Conditioning treatments cost around £10, they can be applied at the basin and won’t add too much time to your hair appointment.
- Avoid damage before it’s done. The best way to protect your hair from the sun is by wearing a hat.
- Give your hair a break from any extra heat. Ditch the straighteners and let it dry naturally. Pack some sea salt spray or try making your own instead.
- Don’t leave home without a spray bottle! Add a little bit of SPF, mix with water and remember to spritz your hair and scalp each morning.
- As sun screen is designed for skin, not hair, you’ll need to invest in a good clarifying shampoo when you get home to remove any build-up.
- Applying leave-in conditioner while you’re away is also a good idea. I’ve been using and loving True Soft Argan Oil by Maria Nila. Check out my recent blog post about this fabulous cruelty free brand here.
By all means, enjoy the sunshine, but don’t let good weather ruin your gorgeous hair.
See you in the salon!